District branded email addresses (eg email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org) can be provisioned on an as needed basis. Examples of need include multiple people in a single role or a committee wanting a shared inbox, officers whose contact will need to be printed on paper forms which would preferably not change year to year (like the Treasurer’s contact on where to submit reimbursement forms), and officers whose emails are considered records that should pass on year to year.
There are two ways we can set up a branded email:
- Forwarding: Easier, email is simply forwarded from the lions4c4.org address to the officer’s personal email account
- Easy setup, no action required on the part of the officer
- No email records kept on District servers
- Does not support outgoing mail, officer cannot send mail from their branded address, only receive
- Dedicated mailbox: Officer is given a mailbox on the lions4c4.org server, with their own username/password
- Officer must configure their mail client to read from the separate account (Gmail has the capability to merge the messages into a single inbox, but it’s an advanced feature that requires some setup)
- Emails are kept with the District, can be passed on year to year
- Does support outgoing mail and multiple people accessing (via the same shared username and password)
Some frequently asked questions can be found below:
If I am assigned a District Email, should I be using/telling others to use it exclusively going forward?
That is up to you and your committee. The Marketing Committee has provided District Email Addresses for the convenience of the District’s officers and members, as the official contact point for District leadership. But you may continue using your personal email address in conjunction with or instead of the branded email. Some benefits of the branded email system:
- Easy way to contact all members of a committee and not omit anyone by mistake
- Emails can be retained and accessed by future committee members (if applicable, see below)
- Email addresses of core District officers (secretary, treasurer, etc) remain constant year to year, people do not need to update their address book, paper forms do not need to be reprinted with new contact info
- Branded addresses are easy to remember and identify
What happens when I reply to a message sent to the District Email Address?
The email reply will come from your personal email account, and will only go to the specified recipients (same as a normal email). This is why, if the District Email Address is set to forward to multiple people, it is recommended that when replying to a message, you CC the District Email Address so all those other people receive the reply as well.
Can I access previous messages sent to the District Email Address?
If you are set to receive forwarded mail from a District Email Address, you should have received an official email from the District Marketing Committee. If this email includes a password, then you are able to use this password to access previous messages in its mailbox.
If you choose to change the default password to something more memorable via the mailbox website, please make sure to coordinate with the other members who need access to the account.
Can I send outgoing messages from the Email Address?
If you are set to receive forwarded mail from a District Email Address, you should have received an official email from the District Marketing Committee. If this email includes a password, then you are able to send outgoing mail by visiting the mailbox website, or by setting up SMTP with your email client (more instructions on the mailbox website). Here are some instructions on how to do that within Gmail and Yahoo.